Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mini-TV Review Update :: August 2011 Edition.

Ok, let us remember how the year in TV has been so far!
I will try to expand on these micro-reviews at some point:


FRINGE
Renewed, still going pretty well. Season finale was pretty good.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS
Cancelled, one of the best shows on TV ever. So sad to see it go.

SUPERNATURAL
Very random season, but season finale makes me look forward to whatever's next.

SMALLVILLE
Cancelled, season was good up until the very anti-climatic ending. Oh well.

THE OFFICE
Renewed, but probably won't care much for next season. Nostalgia shouldn't be a selling point, ever.

GAME OF THRONES
Renewed, amazing and awesome, one of the must-watch shows of 2011.

ARCHER
Renewed, freaking fun and surprising show.

ALPHAS
New, this is how HEROES should have been done. Liking it very much, hope it keeps it up.

CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
Cancelled, the last season of this show has been a nice surprise after it kind of bored me during s5 and s6. Glad I got back into it.

BREAKING BAD
Renewed, one of the shows I always look forward to watching, several times even just so I can get everything in. One of the best show on TV right now.


And I'll make a special mention here:

LOUIE
I don't know if I can find it in me to try to come up with a review or explanation for the unbelievable greatness that lies in the ~20 minutes that every episode of LOUIE every week. It's first season last year was without a doubt the sleeper hit show of 2010, and even though this year he has gotten more exposition, I still think that many people are missing out. And even more importantly- even if they watched, I don't know how many would get the point.

This is a funny show, that is brutal, honest and self-aware. It will make you laugh. It will make you cry. But more importantly, it will make you think and reflect. And that is something that all the other shows on TV right now can't do, or aren't even trying. Louie C.K. has found a way to do that, in a manner that is entertaining. I really cannot give more praise and express more admiration for this man and the miracle that is having a show like his in our day and age.


No comments:

Post a Comment